The Intern Project – Part 2

As the month of July came to a close, I continued working on the intern project and finalized the new email blasts. I completed three different designs for the email blasts based off of the original template: webinar, survey and lesson. Each template design borrows from the same premise of being easily customizable and attention grabbing, while remaining unique in style. The webinar template includes speaker profiles, the survey template has a call-to-action above the fold, and the lesson template incorporates iconography. Together, the emails create a consistent message but also allow for the ad operations team to include topic specific details for each email blast.

The rest of the week I focused on the internship project as we prepared for the featured articles to be published. The editorial intern worked hard to finish each of the pieces and have them reviewed by publication editors while the tech intern and I kept busy finalizing the layout and design details. We met multiple times to discuss what the design requirements would be and how the aesthetic would be consistent across the three publications.

Challenge

Previously, I had broken down the project into three parts: design aesthetics, data visualization, and compartmentalized articles. While I drew off of these inspirations for the final iteration, I also had the challenge of recognizing the necessity of stepping away from some of the more intricate ideas. Most of the deviation stemmed from the fact that the content management system restricted the scope of the design customization and also that the article needed to be stylistically consistent with previous featured articles. With that being the case I focused primarily on the pull-quotes, chart design and graph stylization.

Approach and Results

Pull Quotes

The approach for the pull-quotes was to look at pull-quote styling throughout other publications and see what made them successful. Using my inspirations, I decided that I wanted a headshot of the speaker to incorporate more photography throughout the piece. I also wanted to include a little bit of red to make it stand out more.

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.28.51 AM.png

Tables

The table took a few iterations before the design successfully supported the data. The challenge here was that while I wanted to incorporate color, at first it caused more confusion rather than helping the message. By removing the strong color from the first iteration and emphasizing the US data over the state data I found the chart to be more successful.

Graphs

Finally I tackled the graph stylization. The first challenge for the graphs was that the data itself was not what we had anticipated. Initially, we wanted to use line graphs to show the difference over time of worker populations. However, we soon realized that the difference was not significant enough to show visually in this manner as it was often less than 1%. I then tried different ways of communicating the same idea such as the percent difference. While this was interesting to look at it, the graph was even more confusing. Finally I decided on a donut chart; though this chart is less powerful due to less data, it is more direct in its purpose. The chart now allowed the user to see the worker profile of the current year in a clear way.

Check us out!

Utility Dive

Construction Dive

Education Dive

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s